While the hard walnut biscuits certainly made me think of a local take on the Italian classic, I wasn't brave enough to tell my neighbour as much. Especially not when I was hoping she would give me the recipe.
Eat these with a cup of strong, sweet black coffee. Italy, via the Dordogne.
125g icing sugar
125 plain flour
125g ground walnuts
1 tsp orange flower water
2 tbsps creme fraiche
1. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C. Using either a hand-held or electric whisk, beat the eggs and sugar together till pale and creamy.
2. Sift in the flour, then stir in the creme fraiche, walnuts, and orange flour water.
3. Bring the dough together into a ball and leave to rest for fifteen minutes.
4. On a floured surface, roll out the dough till it is around 2cm thick. Cut into sticks (or shapes of your choosing) before baking for 30 minutes.
5. Cool on a wire rack and serve with coffee.