60g plain flour
60g self raising flour
1/4 tsp chili powder or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or both if you like a real kick)
175g grated cheese (something from the Perigord is obviously best, but use what you have)
75g finely chopped walnuts
2 -3 tbsps beer or milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Sift the flours, salt, pepper & chillies into a bowl together & mix.
2. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Add the cheese & walnuts - mix well.
4. Add the beer or milk - mix into a dough.
5. Chill for 30 minutes.
6. Roll out on a floured board and cut into small rounds.
7. Place on a greased baking tray and bake in pre-heated oven 180C/360F for about 15 minutes or until golden brown & crisp.
8. Sprinkle with seasoning salt or cayenne pepper if you wish.
9. Cool on a wire rack and store in airtight tins.
Recipe via www.food.com.